Now that Madonna has classed up the joint—and spent 20-plus years cobbling together 6,000 square feet, six bedrooms, two living rooms and eight bathrooms in one of Central Park West’s formerly less-fabulous buildings—Harperley Hall has become acceptable to Metacapital Management’s Deepak Narula, who knows a bargain when he sees one. Read more »
- 29 May 2013 at 5:32 PM
- 04 Jan 2013 at 2:08 PM
What motivates a hedge fund manager to continue busting his ass to churn out profits year after year, once he’s already amassed a fortune most people can’t even fathom, when he could easily pack it all in and live more than comfortably without ever working another day? For some, it’s the thrill. For others, it’s the trophy’s wife’s shoe habit. For Crispin Odey, it’s the chickens.
The Odey Asset Management founder (and sausage brand ambassador)’s got a mess of high-maintenance ones and earlier this year, had architects draft blueprints of a “Palladian-style” mansion he intended to build them (seen at left), replete with a grey zinc roof, “pediments, cornice, architrave, and frieze in English oak,” and columns “hewn from the finest grey Forest of Dean standstone.” After finishing 2011 down 20.3%, things were no doubt more than a little tense over in Herefordshire, where questions of whether or not construction would have to be halted, or if they’d have to make the switch to [whispers] generic-brand feed. Certainly a moment of panic swept over Odey each day when he returned home, wondering as he turned the knob if he’d be entering an empty house, the chickens gone and a note explaining they couldn’t do this anymore on the fridge. Ran off with the general contractor because what was the point of shacking up with a money manger if the money wasn’t there? Luckily for all parties involved, it won’t have to come to that; according to Bloomberg Markets’ annual ranking of the top performing hedge funds, performing under pressure is one of Odey’s specialities. Read more »
- 27 Nov 2013 at 1:30 PM
The holiday season is nigh and you still haven’t shopped. While you’re dreaming only of sugar plum fairies bearing fat bonuses, you don’t the time to mingle with the riff raff at some big box nightmare. Dealbreaker is here to help. Behold the 2013 Dealbreaker Holiday Gift Guide, chockfull of descriptors like “custom,” “gourmet,” “housecleaning,” and “DB swag.”
Click through to check out all of our gift choices for the hardcore capitalist in your life.
- Deepak Narula Turns Two Years Of Double-Digit Returns Into Madonna's Apartment May 29, 2013
- Credit Suisse Employee Moonlights As Breakdancing National Champion December 6, 2013
- Using Yiddish Word For Screwing Only One Of The Many Colorful Ways That Bernie Madoff Made Clear He Was Up To No Good December 6, 2013
- Don't Want To Get On Compliance's Watch List? Consider Not Going On Endlessly About How Ravenous You Are Or How They're Expecting You At Chipotle; One "God Damn It I'm Starving" Or "Need Burrito In Mouth, Stat" Should Suffice December 6, 2013
- Charlie Gasparino's Gut Tells Him Trouble Is Brewing At Goldman Sachs, Though In Fairness That Could Just Be Last Night's Chinese December 6, 2013
- Who Among Us Wouldn't Listen To A Guy Pitch An Investment Involving "Pay-Per-View Programming Starring Carmen Electra" And Proceed To Wire Him $195,000? December 5, 2013
- The 2013 Dealbreaker Holiday Gift Guide November 27, 2013
- Write-Offs: 12.06.13 December 6, 2013
- Tommy Belesis Will Have To Wait At Least 1 Year Before Threatening To Hit Another Broker With His Car December 5, 2013
- Christmas Come Early For John Paulson December 6, 2013
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com