When Blackstone Group LP named a new global head of private equity last month, Chief Executive Stephen Schwarzman was looking for more than just a business unit chief. Even though the buyout king has no plans to retire, the appointment of Joe Baratta, a 41-year-old dealmaker credited with building up the firm’s European buyouts practice, was the latest step in a wider succession plan, Blackstone insiders said. Baratta joins five other senior Blackstone executives from whose ranks the successor to Schwarzman, 65, will eventually emerge, the sources said. The others are Jonathan Gray, 42, real estate chief; Bennett Goodman, 54, co-founder of the credit business; Tom Hill, 63, who runs the hedge fund team; Laurence Tosi, 44, the chief financial officer; and Joan Solotar, 47, who spearheads investor relations, the sources said. [...] “Steve will never retire; he will die at his desk,” one senior Blackstone executive said. [Reuters]
over his dead body
- 27 Aug 2012 at 12:47 PM
Stephen Schwarzman Would Sooner Eat Imitation Crab Meat Than Retire But If He Does, One Of These People Might Take OverBy Bess Levin
- Jefferies Exec Sage Kelly Taking A Timeout From Investment Banking
- Jefferies Exec Sage Kelly (Allegedly!) Employs Unorthodox Approach For Landing Clients (Update)
- Hedge Fund Manager Keeps A Detailed Record Of All The Asses He's Grabbed
- Money Manager Holding Credit Suisse's Funds Hostage Elevates The Whole "I'm 5 Minutes Away!" Text When You Haven't Yet Left Your Apartment To A New Level
- Banker Who Faked His Own Death Fielding Hedge Fund Jobs Offers Left And Right, Says Banker Who Faked His Own Death
- Jefferies Exec Details All The Places He's Never Mistaken For A Toilet
- Guy Whose Quitting Pimco Totally Had Nothing To Do With Bill Gross Treating Him Like Crap Now Back At Pimco
- Jefferies Exec (Allegedly!) Held An Offsite "Mushrooms Day"
- Opening Bell: 10.30.14
- Local Man Accused Of Controlling Hedge Fund All The Way To The Bank
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com