Overstock will be happy to take those coins off your hands (or out of your instawallet or whatever) in exchange for a nice area rug or some fresh bath towels, because Overstock CEO Patrick Byrne believes in limited government almost as much as he believes in suing hedge-fund short-sellers and taking out full-page newspaper ads to mock said hedge funds. Read more »
- 10 Jan 2014 at 3:39 PM
You remember AntiSocialMedia.Net, right? No? Yeah, we were doing out best trying to forget it also. It’s the website hosting what the New York Post describes as “bitter attacks … on the message board critics, accusing them of participating to various degrees in a conspiracy to malign the anti-naked short selling movement that Overstock.com supports.”
Well, it turns out that there was very good reason that AntiSocialMedia.Net was supporting the same causes as Overstock.com. It was being anonymously run by Overstock.com’s director of social media Judd Bagley.
Gary Weiss, who has been all over this story, wants to know:
Only one question arises in my mind: What laws were broken? Not “were laws broken?” but “what were the laws that were broken?” The new federal cyberstalking law comes to mind, obviously, but what others? Regulation FD is another good possibility, given the ASM Lie Machine was created after Bagley became a corporate officer. (And speaking of corporate disclosure, shouldn’t Overstock file an 8-K disclosing its involvement in ASM?)
Bagley is trying hard to distance himself from his employer, Patrick Byrne, which brought him on as “director of social media” in August with all the fanfare that you and I would use in buying a can of Raid cockroach spray. Nice try, but too late. Byrne himself promoted the site and contributed to it, and has indicated that he has advance knowledge of its disclosures. Once again, Byrne’s big mouth has landed him in deep doo-doo.
Judd Bagley Fesses Up [Gary-Weiss.com]
- Buy Your Discount Home Furnishings With Bitcoins January 10, 2014
- Ken Griffin's Lawyers Have Something To Get Off Their Chests July 24, 2014
- Renaissance Technologies: Buy-And-Hold Investor July 1, 2013
- Opening Bell: 07.25.14 July 25, 2014
- Barclays: Attorney General Not Sophisticated Enough To Understand How Our Dark Pools Work July 24, 2014
- Wharton Alums Not Interested In Spending Any More Time Together Than Absolutely Necessary July 24, 2014
- Ken Griffin's Title As World's Richest Illinoisan In Peril July 24, 2014
- Hedge Fund Manager Thinks World’s Just About Over This Whole Apple Fad July 25, 2014
- Bear Stearns Exec Who Straddled World Of Wall Street And Magicianry Is No Longer July 25, 2014
- Memo To Herbalife: Bill Ackman Will Make This An Extracurricular Activity If He Has To July 24, 2014
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com