Fitch Ratings placed the U.S.’s pristine triple-A rating on watch for downgrade Tuesday as the federal government runs short on time to raise the nation’s borrowing limit. The Fitch warning comes as the House and Senate work on competing plans to raise the U.S.’s borrowing limit and fully reopen the federal government. The Treasury Department, which has used extraordinary steps to continue paying its bills for roughly two weeks, says it will exhaust those powers on Thursday…Fitch said a failure by the government to honor interest or principal payments on U.S. Treasury securities would lead it to downgrade the U.S.’s sovereign issuer-default rating to “restricted default.” It would also slash the affected issues to B-plus from triple-A. [WSJ]
- 15 Oct 2013 at 5:33 PM
- 28 Nov 2011 at 5:47 PM
Fitch’s outlook on the U.S., which it still assigns its top AAA grade, reflects declining confidence that timely fiscal measures necessary to place U.S. public finances on a sustainable path will be forthcoming, the company said in a statement today. Standard & Poor’s and Moody’s Investors Service said Nov. 21 that the so-called supercommittee’s inability to reach an agreement didn’t merit a downgrade because the inaction will trigger $1.2 trillion in automatic spending cuts…“In terms of additional information, a Fitch negative outlook doesn’t seem that significant,” Guy LeBas, chief fixed- income strategist at Janney Montgomery Scott LLC in Philadelphia, said before the announcement. “A negative outlook from Fitch just adds one more voice to the chorus of a slowly deteriorating U.S. fiscal situation.” [Bloomberg]
- Hedge Fund Manager Keeps A Detailed Record Of All The Asses He's Grabbed
- Bonus Watch '14: Congrats On Being An Investment Banker
- Bill Gross Reacts To George Soros's $500 Million Investment Like He's Been Awarded The Presidential Medal Of Freedom
- Bonus Expectations Got You Down? Boss Riding Your Ass? Quit And Support Yourself Via Fantasy Football
- Mathew Martoma Is In Miami
- David Rubenstein Will Have Warren Buffett Know He's Not A Porn Shop Operator
- Steve Cohen Continues To Rid Firm Of Incentives For Employees To...Y'Know...
- Deal Judge: We're Going To Need A New Master of Coin
- Goldman Sachs Is Smart
- Opening Bell: 11.21.14
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com