The Financial Industry Regulatory Authority put out its annual list of New Year’s resolutions yesterday, and one of them is a pledge to keep an eye on the brokers on its naughty list and the people who hire them (often en masse). Read more »
- 03 Jan 2014 at 10:15 AM
- 11 Jun 2013 at 3:31 PM
CBOE’s Commitment To Customer Service Did Not Quite Extend To Getting The SEC To “Back Off” Fraud InvestigationBy Matt Levine
“Self-regulation is a unique and fundamental component of federal securities regulation in the United States,” the SEC begins its order against the CBOE announced today, but it’s also a little silly. It’s right there in the name! If you’re doing it yourself, it’s not regulation; it’s just some stuff you’re doing. Regulation is being forced to do what you don’t want to do. And who better to force you to do what you don’t want to do than a voluntary organization that relies on your business to pay its salaries? Lots of people probably.
“CBOE agreed to pay a $6 million penalty and implement major remedial measures to settle the SEC’s charges,” from which you’d think there was a lot of terrible malfeasance. But not really? The order is more like a list of minor harmless-ish lawlessness by CBOE, albeit a long and varied list. As best I can tell it grew out of a sequence of events something like the following:
- A CBOE member firm, optionsXpress, engaged in a mildly complicated naked short selling scheme in violation of Regulation SHO.1
- CBOE didn’t catch it because, basically, they were dolts at Regulation SHO. From the order:2
Popularized in films like Limitless, legal smart drugs called Nootropics are becoming more and more prevalent in board rooms and on Wall Street.Keep reading »
Keep reading »
It’s not just doctors and scientists that need STEM education. America’s shifting economy is demanding more trained workers in many different sectors. See how Travis Brooks got the hands-on education he needed to become a technician at the Chevron Pascagoula Refinery. Visit The Atlantic to learn more.
- Hedge Fund Manager Keeps A Detailed Record Of All The Asses He's Grabbed
- 10 Reasons Wall Street Is Using Smart Drugs Crush Work
- Buy Anything With The Word ‘Cuba’ In It
- If You Stand Perfectly Still, Dan Loeb Cannot See You: Sony Execs
- Bonus Watch '14: Citigroup
- Janet Yellen Politely Asks Elizabeth Warren To Shove It
- Bonus Watch '14: Investment Analyst Turned Fantasy Sports Team General Manager
- Arizona State Now Has Multiple Business Schools To Choose From
- Bill Ackman Just Can't Help Himself
- Hedge Fund Manager's Ex-Wife Has Thought It Over, Is Fine With $531 Million Settlement
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com