At a meeting with Sprint Corp. executives in October, the chief executive of parent company SoftBank Corp. lost his temper about the mobile carrier’s advertising, complaining that it wasn’t luring enough new customers. “Are you stupid?” yelled Masayoshi Son, who engineered the Japanese company’s takeover of the No. 3 wireless provider in the U.S. last year for about $22 billion, according to three people in the room. He slammed his fist on a table and suggested that Sprint fire all its ad agencies and start over. One person who was there says some Sprint executives told Mr. Son later that the company couldn’t just cancel its advertising contracts…He has been working on a possible bid for T-Mobile, people familiar with the matter say. But U.S. antitrust officials have expressed strong opposition, saying a takeover could reduce competition. It has been about two years since the Justice Department rejected AT&T’s $39 billion deal to buy T-Mobile. For now at least, that leaves Mr. Son to fix what he calls a “loser” mentality at Sprint and complacency at the mobile carrier’s headquarters in Overland Park, Kan., a person close to him says…Defenders of Mr. Son say he congratulates as often as he criticizes, occasionally hugging employees. [WSJ]
- Jefferies Exec Sage Kelly Taking A Timeout From Investment Banking
- Jefferies Exec Sage Kelly (Allegedly!) Employs Unorthodox Approach For Landing Clients (Update)
- Hedge Fund Manager Keeps A Detailed Record Of All The Asses He's Grabbed
- Money Manager Holding Credit Suisse's Funds Hostage Elevates The Whole "I'm 5 Minutes Away!" Text When You Haven't Yet Left Your Apartment To A New Level
- Banker Who Faked His Own Death Fielding Hedge Fund Jobs Offers Left And Right, Says Banker Who Faked His Own Death
- Jefferies Exec Details All The Places He's Never Mistaken For A Toilet
- Jefferies Exec Sage Kelly (Allegedly!) Lets Analysts Deal With His 28k Strip Club Tabs
- Things Could Be Worse But They Could Also Be Better At Jefferies Right Now
- Guy Whose Quitting Pimco Totally Had Nothing To Do With Bill Gross Treating Him Like Crap Now Back At Pimco
- Jefferies Exec (Allegedly!) Held An Offsite "Mushrooms Day"
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com