So that’s nice for them. Read more »
- 26 Sep 2014 at 3:57 PM
- 22 Sep 2014 at 5:55 PM
- 04 Sep 2014 at 3:49 PM
- 04 Jun 2014 at 11:20 AM
- 20 Dec 2013 at 4:37 PM
Unlike mortgage-backed securities, supranational political entities simply cannot have this many sub-prime components and expect to keep its triple-A rating, according to S&P’s flawless debt-rating system. Read more »
- 02 Dec 2013 at 5:45 PM
Fact: The Big Three perhaps maybe haven’t done the best job rating bonds, sovereign or otherwise.
Fact: Powerful governmental bodies aren’t especially happy with some of those ratings, even if they were indisputably right.
- 18 Sep 2013 at 3:16 PM
S&P Will Not Stop Giving Out Good Bond Ratings In Exchange For Cash Just Because The Government Sued It For Doing SoBy Jon Shazar
Standard & Poor’s, as you may have heard, is fighting a federal lawsuit with a potentially 10-figure pricetag that accuses it of making up whatever CDO ratings it had to in order to win business rating CDOs. Its defense against these charges are (a) no one should listen to them and (b) that no matter how shady and underhanded their practices seem, the ratings they produced were fine, even if they were totally wrong.
You may note the absence of (c) we did not make up ratings to appease the people who pay for ratings. Which may have something to do with the fact that S&P is still kinda making up ratings to appease the people who pay for them. Read more »
- S&P Can Read Tim Geithner’s Super-Secret Diary September 26, 2014
- Guy Who's Short Herbalife Says Guy Who's Long Herbalife Saying Guy Who's Short Herbalife Saying Herbalife Is A Fraud Is A Fraud Is A Fraud March 13, 2013
- SEC Charges Guy With Being Very Bad Roommate September 30, 2014
- BofA Kinda Forgot That Structured Notes Mature September 30, 2014
- Morningstar Still Has 99.579% Confidence In Pimco September 30, 2014
- Not All Hedge Funds Totally Worthless September 29, 2014
- Pimco: Jim From Accounting's Departure Would Cause $10 Billion In Outflows September 29, 2014
- Carl Icahn Glad eBay Finally Woke Up And Listened To Him, Hope Its Learned A Valuable Lesson Here Today (Never Question Carl Icahn Again) September 30, 2014
- Careful Grooming = Respectability For Bitcoin September 30, 2014
- Tim Geithner Was Risk Averse Before He Was Treasury Secretary September 30, 2014
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com