A “pretentious” Manhattan socialite hosted a swanky, “black tie optional” bash in January — where he sipped champagne with his fabulous friends and boasted of an upcoming years-long vacation to Europe he was about take. Tabber Benedict bellied up to the bar at Chelsea’s Bungalow 8 — with a woman on his arm — and bent his friends’ ears about the planned jaunt and all the places he was going to visit. But the finance lawyer was hiding the real, sinister reason he was saying his farewells. He was going to prison for nearly killing a man. About two years ago, the West Village denizen slammed his SUV into a Long Island dad after a night of hard partying in the Hamptons — and left his victim for dead, records show. The Jan. 24 soiree was just four days before he was sentenced to as many as 10 years in the clink. “He lied to everybody about going to Europe,” one of his friends said…“I feel terrible for Tabber because I know there’s no table service where he’s headed,” sniffed fellow socialite Justin Ross Lee. “He’s the most pretentious person I’ve ever met.” [NYP]
stories names and professions that sound made up
- 06 Feb 2013 at 6:17 PM
“But the finance lawyer was hiding the real, sinister reason he was saying his farewells. He was going to prison for nearly killing a man.”By Bess Levin
- 28 Aug 2014 at 8:00 AM
Football is back, and 1-week fantasy juggernaut DraftKings.com is offering a guaranteed $5,000,000 in prizes.
DraftKings has a special offer for Dealbreaker readers—make a first time deposit and get free entry into a $100,000 contest.
Or if you’re a high roller, you can pay $200 to compete for $1,000,000 in prizes in the NFL Sunday Million contest.
So what is 1-week fantasy? On DraftKings, it’s simple. You draft a new team every time you want to play. Choosing from the list of available players, you pick the best possible team under DraftKings’ allotted salary cap. Payouts are instant and completely secure, and DraftKings is 100% legal.
Click on any of the links in this article to claim your free entry into the DraftKings $100,000 Week 1 contest.
- "But the finance lawyer was hiding the real, sinister reason he was saying his farewells. He was going to prison for nearly killing a man." February 6, 2013
- Every Second Of Jefferies CEO's Ice Bucket Challenge Is Better Than The Last August 27, 2014
- Kyle Bass Not Entirely Thrilled With Paul Singer At The Moment August 28, 2014
- Swiss Bankers Suddenly Bashful About Listing "Sparkling Water," "Hooker For Client" On Expense Reports August 29, 2014
- Horror In The Hamptons: Rosé Shortage Edition August 27, 2014
- Opening Bell: 08.28.14 August 28, 2014
- Florian Homm Was Just Trying To Protect His Money When He Started Handing It Out To Friends, Lending It To Brothel Owners, Shoving It In His Underwear August 4, 2014
- Poor People Like Bitcoins More Than Less Poor People August 28, 2014
- Chris Christie Needs An Economist July 18, 2014
- Bridgewater Associates: Be The Hyena. Attack The Wildebeest. May 10, 2010
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com