An upstate woman accused of running a lucrative Upper East Side brothel and boasting of law-enforcement connections was sentenced on Tuesday to six months in prison after weighing a last-minute decision to fight the case in court. Attorneys and family for Anna Gristina said she considered withdrawing her Sept. 24 guilty plea to promoting prostitution up until the moment she agreed to accept the sentence handed down by Manhattan Criminal Court Judge Juan Merchan. “It was a very difficult decision, and until the penultimate moment, it was an open question on whether she would elect go to trail,” said attorney Norman Pattis. Gristina, who was once dubbed the “Manhattan Madam” and the “Soccer Mom Madam,” will not have to serve any jail time, getting credit for four months she served at Riker’s Island because she could not make the initial $2 million bail…As she left the courthouse, Gristina told reporters that she plans to write tell-all book and called the Manhattan District Attorney’s office “more corrupt than the mafia.” Gristina’s case received extended media coverage following her February arrest amid an unconfirmed belief she had guarded a client list of recognizable and powerful figures in politics, sports and banking. Her lawyers had argued she was being “vindictively prosecuted” because she refused to provide investigators with the names of five well-connected male customers, who weren’t identified. [Metropolis]
- 27 Nov 2013 at 1:30 PM
The holiday season is nigh and you still haven’t shopped. While you’re dreaming only of sugar plum fairies bearing fat bonuses, you don’t the time to mingle with the riff raff at some big box nightmare. Dealbreaker is here to help. Behold the 2013 Dealbreaker Holiday Gift Guide, chockfull of descriptors like “custom,” “gourmet,” “housecleaning,” and “DB swag.”
Click through to check out all of our gift choices for the hardcore capitalist in your life.
- Upper East Side Madam Announces Plans To Give It To DA's Office November 20, 2012
- Tommy Belesis Will Have To Wait At Least 1 Year Before Threatening To Hit Another Broker With His Car December 5, 2013
- The 2013 Dealbreaker Holiday Gift Guide November 27, 2013
- Marissa Mayer Is An Enigma, Wrapped In A Michael Kors Dress, Posing Upside Down On A Chaise Lounge December 5, 2013
- Greek-Focused Hedge Fund Doing Okay For Itself December 5, 2013
- Who Among Us Wouldn't Listen To A Guy Pitch An Investment Involving "Pay-Per-View Programming Starring Carmen Electra" And Proceed To Wire Him $195,000? December 5, 2013
- Swiss Banks Will Not Be Rushed Re: Deciding To Comply With U.S. On Tax Evasion December 5, 2013
- Formerly Jailed Hedge Fund Manager Just Really Needs Everyone To Know That Lots And Lots Of People Like Him And Think He's Probably Not A Crook December 5, 2013
- Layoffs Watch '14: Investment Banking December 4, 2013
- Applicant Formerly Interested In Wells Fargo Securities Analyst Program Has Epiphany November 25, 2013
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com