As American Apparel executives scrambled to pay vendors this spring, they frequently ran into a frustrating problem: Where were the checks? Many times, the answer was Chief Executive Dov Charney’s Los Angeles mansion. Starting early this year, Mr. Charney began signing all of the company’s checks—hundreds of them every month—one of several bottlenecks that plagued the fashion chain as its finances withered, people familiar with the situation said. Mr. Charney’s sexual antics have commanded the headlines, but beneath the salacious details was a business that had fallen into almost complete disarray, the people said. American Apparel, a major retailer with 10,000 employees and 249 stores, lacked seasoned executives, which often required Mr. Charney to dive in to fix problems. The general counsel was personally managing the company’s fleet of stores. This spring, the legal department was reduced to two people. And Mr. Charney was swimming in checks. They were delivered by assistants to his office or home, where they would pile up for weeks before resurfacing in the accounts-payable department, the people familiar with the matter said. Mr. Charney purposely held the checks while he investigated whether the amounts were correct, said a person familiar with his thinking. [WSJ]
totally normal things for CEOs to be doing
- 26 Jun 2014 at 3:50 PM
- 28 Aug 2014 at 8:00 AM
Football is back, and 1-week fantasy juggernaut DraftKings.com is offering a guaranteed $5,000,000 in prizes.
DraftKings has a special offer for Dealbreaker readers—make a first time deposit and get free entry into a $100,000 contest.
Or if you’re a high roller, you can pay $200 to compete for $1,000,000 in prizes in the NFL Sunday Million contest.
So what is 1-week fantasy? On DraftKings, it’s simple. You draft a new team every time you want to play. Choosing from the list of available players, you pick the best possible team under DraftKings’ allotted salary cap. Payouts are instant and completely secure, and DraftKings is 100% legal.
Click on any of the links in this article to claim your free entry into the DraftKings $100,000 Week 1 contest.
- Magnet For Sexual Assault Claims Also Something Of A Micromanager June 26, 2014
- Every Second Of Jefferies CEO's Ice Bucket Challenge Is Better Than The Last August 27, 2014
- Swiss Bankers Suddenly Bashful About Listing "Sparkling Water," "Hooker For Client" On Expense Reports August 29, 2014
- Kyle Bass Not Entirely Thrilled With Paul Singer At The Moment August 28, 2014
- Horror In The Hamptons: Rosé Shortage Edition August 27, 2014
- Write-Offs: 08.29.14 August 29, 2014
- If Chris Rokos Isn’t Allowed To Lose $383 Million At Brevan Howard, He Should Damn Well Be Allowed To Lose It Somewhere Else! August 27, 2014
- Opening Bell: 08.28.14 August 28, 2014
- Pay Hike Watch '14: Raises For Everyone (Under 25)! August 21, 2014
- New Investment Vehicle Offers Promising Returns, High-Risk Of Saying "Screw It, I'm Drinking This" August 28, 2014
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com