Shortly after buying Trinchera Blanca ranch Bacon realized he had a serious problem and that in order to fix it he would have to do the previously unfathomable: become a public figure. His paradise was under siege, threatened by an invasive, man-made species–a proposed energy transmission line, which was to be held aloft by a series of 150-foot-tall metal towers. Seventeen miles of that line was to cut through the heart of the Blanca portion of the ranch and right in front of the trio of 14,000-foot peaks, the signature “viewshed” of the San Luis Valley. The project, a joint venture between Xcel Energy and Tri-State Generation & Transmission, was being sold to the public as a needed “green” line that would carry solar energy and was backed by a prominent environmental group in Boulder. It looked like a huge loss for Bacon…[A team he assembled] discovered that the energy companies had cheaper alternatives for existing lines, that Xcel had already met its renewable energy mandate with the state and that the line, which hadn’t even gone through an environmental impact study, would in fact most likely not even carry any “green” energy at all. “The more we looked into it, the more we felt like Erin Brockovich,” says Bacon, referring to the environmental sleuth immortalized by Julia Roberts in a 2000 movie…Feeling the heat, the energy companies fought back, painting Bacon as a Nimby (not in my backyard), a rich Easterner who wanted to dictate the energy needs of Colorado. (“Poor little rich boy,” the Pueblo Chieftain called him in an editorial.)…“What’s wrong with Nimbyism?” Bacon asks. “The entire environmental movement was built on it. Some of the greatest environmentalists were Nimbys. Thoreau protected Walden, right?” [Forbes, earlier]
- 19 Sep 2012 at 2:32 PM
- 27 Nov 2013 at 1:30 PM
The holiday season is nigh and you still haven’t shopped. While you’re dreaming only of sugar plum fairies bearing fat bonuses, you don’t the time to mingle with the riff raff at some big box nightmare. Dealbreaker is here to help. Behold the 2013 Dealbreaker Holiday Gift Guide, chockfull of descriptors like “custom,” “gourmet,” “housecleaning,” and “DB swag.”
Click through to check out all of our gift choices for the hardcore capitalist in your life.
- Louis Bacon Sees A Lot Of Himself In Fellow Recluse Henry David Thoreau, Erin Brockovich September 19, 2012
- In The Future, Hedge Fund Manager Will Definitely Think Twice Before Transferring £600k To Her Lover's Bank Account No Questions Asked December 4, 2013
- Layoffs Watch '14: Investment Banking December 4, 2013
- Bill Ackman Actually Pretty Good At Running A Hedge Fund December 4, 2013
- Opening Bell: 12.05.13 December 5, 2013
- Local Moron Throws Some Numbers Around, Decides There's A One-In-10 Chance Obama Resigns Next Year December 4, 2013
- Marissa Mayer Is An Enigma, Wrapped In A Michael Kors Dress, Posing Upside Down On A Chaise Lounge December 5, 2013
- The 2013 Dealbreaker Holiday Gift Guide November 27, 2013
- SAC PM Accused Of Insider Trading Didn't Have Time For A Customary "How Are You? How's Your Mother?": Goverment Witness December 4, 2013
- Wells Fargo Not A Huge Hit Among The Bridge-Burning Analyst-Hopeful Class November 25, 2013
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com