Barclays will take the axe to its controversial tax structuring unit, as the UK lender seeks to clean up its image in the wake of a succession of scandals. The business, which at its peak may have generated as much as three-quarters of profits at Barclays’ investment banking operation, will be shrunk dramatically as part of the bank’s Project Transform under new chief executive, Antony Jenkins. Barclays’ actions comes as global banks from Goldman Sachs to Deutsche Bank are reviewing their business models in response to new regulations and government enforcement efforts. “We have to take a fresh look to see if there are products and services in which…we no longer deem it appropriate to do business, regardless of financial return,” Rich Ricci, Barclays investment banking chief, said in an address to investors on Monday night… All activities would in future be “screened for reputational impact” as well as profitability, Mr Jenkins said. “Our ability to build a franchise over time depends on our reputation,” he added, admitting the bank had made some “serious mistakes” in recent years. [FT via HeidiMoore]
- 11 Sep 2012 at 1:33 PM
- 28 Aug 2014 at 8:00 AM
Football is back, and 1-week fantasy juggernaut DraftKings.com is offering a guaranteed $5,000,000 in prizes.
DraftKings has a special offer for Dealbreaker readers—make a first time deposit and get free entry into a $100,000 contest.
Or if you’re a high roller, you can pay $200 to compete for $1,000,000 in prizes in the NFL Sunday Million contest.
So what is 1-week fantasy? On DraftKings, it’s simple. You draft a new team every time you want to play. Choosing from the list of available players, you pick the best possible team under DraftKings’ allotted salary cap. Payouts are instant and completely secure, and DraftKings is 100% legal.
Click on any of the links in this article to claim your free entry into the DraftKings $100,000 Week 1 contest.
- A Changed Barclays No Longer Cares About Financial Returns September 11, 2012
- Swiss Bankers Suddenly Bashful About Listing "Sparkling Water," "Hooker For Client" On Expense Reports August 29, 2014
- Every Second Of Jefferies CEO's Ice Bucket Challenge Is Better Than The Last August 27, 2014
- Fake, Unregulated Currency Not Unregulated Enough For Some August 18, 2014
- Horror In The Hamptons: Rosé Shortage Edition August 27, 2014
- Soho-Resident Prince Josef von Habsburg-Lothringen of Austria Not The Guy With Thought He Was July 12, 2010
- Get Ready To Hear "I'll Have My Assistant Make A Reservation At Denny's" A Lot More Often August 29, 2014
- Steve Ballmer Offers Primer On How To Buy A Major League Sports Team August 26, 2014
- Write-Offs: 08.29.14 August 29, 2014
- You Now Have Two Ways To Evaluate Mortgage-Backed Securities August 29, 2014
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com