According to the Financial Crisis Inquiry Committee:
* The banks (“Like Icarus, they never feared flying ever closer to the sun")
* Alan Greenspan
* Ben Bernanke
* The Bush administration
* Hank Paulson
* The 2000 decision to shield over-the-counter derivatives from regulation
* Tim Geithner
* The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency,
* The Office of Thrift Supervision
* The Fed
* The SEC
* "human action and inaction, not Mother Nature or computer models gone haywire"
* Credit-rating agencies (“cogs in the wheel of financial destruction")
Who's a little to blame but not a lot?
* Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac “contributed to the crisis but were not a primary cause"
* "Aggressive homeownership goals” were not major culprits