Shhh, he didn't mean it.
As those of you who keep up with the Life And Times of Steven A. Cohen know, there are few things on this earth that the hedge fund manager despises more than his first bride, Patricia Cohen. So despite the fact that she has been suing him nearly five years; is, in the words of his lawyer Martin Klotz, "harass[ing] and embarrass[ing] Steven,"; and, at this point, wants what represents approximately 1/900000th of his personal wealth, the SAC Capital founder continues to refuse to settle this thing privately and throw her a dime. While merely casual observers of the Big Guy assumed that Patty's recent victory, wherein she "won permission as part of a 25-year-old divorce battle to question him about any lies he may have told related to wrongdoing at the hedge fund" would've gotten him to budge, SAC Scholars know better.
“It’s a bit of a head-scratcher,” said Anthony Sabino, a business law professor at St. John’s University in New York, who has followed the case. “He’s been pilloried in the press. You’d have to think he is sick and tired of that and would like to get out of the spotlight. It’s baffling why he just doesn’t say, ‘Here’s the money, why not leave us alone?’”
For the record, here are a list of things Steve Cohen would rather do than give his ex-wife satisfaction, monetary or otherwise:
- Drive cross country with Preet Bharara
- Go camping with Mathew Martoma
- Watch idly as Drive-ins, Diners, and Dives gets canceled
- Attend a luncheon surrounded by people eating Super Duper Weenie and be served a tofu dog from the local health food store
- Let the Timeswrite that he's living in a 3-bedroom, 1 1/2 bath condo in downtown Stamford
- Fill in for Mr. Met the weekend MM has to attend a wedding in Milwaukee