The Opening Bell is powered by The Water Coolest. You can sign up for TWC's full, daily email newsletter here. In the meantime, check out one of the features from today's edition ...

TICKETS CONFIRMED

Saudi Arabia took a $500M stake in Live Nation on Monday. Presumably, to get first dibs at tickets when The Jonas Brothers go back on tour.

The Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund acquired the shares on the open market, as it was reported that Live Nation management was in the dark about the Kingdom's plans. Seems like that's kinda how Saudi Arabia rolls.

The investment amounts to a 5.7% stake in Live Nation, which makes the Saudis the third-largest shareholder, behind Liberty Media Group and Vanguard. Two companies that scream 'rock and roll.'

The 'rona boi

Live Nation, which owns Ticketmaster, has been particularly affected by lockdowns, as concerts and gatherings have been canceled or postponed well into the foreseeable future. As of March 31, the event-promoter had sold 45M tickets for shows in 2020, but those tickets are about as useful as a coupon to Circuit City right about now.

LN’s latest press release stated that in the last two weeks of March (since 'rona kicked off its world tour), eight thousand shows have been impacted by event stoppages, with 90% "postponed" and the remaining 10% of shows canceled.

The ticket-price-gouger, however, claims that it has enough cash on hand to make it through the year. Glad to see those service fees and convenience charges are being put to good use. It’s also looking to stretch its piggy bank by implementing a hiring freeze, furloughing employees and reducing top executive pay by 50%. Plus Live Nation's CEO Michael Rapino has given up his salary for the year.

$LYV has halved YTD, but the news sent shares up 12% to $42.86.

The bottom line...

Saudi Arabia has taken ‘buy the dip’ to heart, opening its pocketbook to buy battered shares across industries.

In April, Saudi Arabia sprung for an 8.2% stake in Carnival Cruise Lines, making it the second-largest shareholder behind chairman, Micky Arison. Shares were down roughly 75% at the time of purchase but rallied 30% on the day of the announcement.

The Public Fund is also in the final stages of buying an 80% stake in Newcastle's football club. 

Zoom’s Good Week Ends on Sour Note After Facebook Crashes Party [Bloomberg]

But wait, there's more. The above is just one feature that appears in today's edition of The Water Coolest's daily email newsletter. Sign up now to get the latest news and commentary delivered to your inbox every weekday at 6 AM EST.

Related

mbs

Opening Bell 11.4.19

It's all fun and games until someone gets chopped up ...

By m01229 from USA (Shake Shack burger and fries) [CC BY 2.0], via Wikimedia Commons

Opening Bell 5.3.19

Morningstar (think veggie burgers, not research) has beef ...

twitter egg

Opening Bell 3.2.20

Elliott Management has had enough of Jack

SaudiSauron

Opening Bell: 10.22.18

Saudi Arabia crisis still crisis-y; Sears seeks a friend for the end of its world; Italy gives il finger to the EU; Headless chicken monster shows itself; and more!

Getty Images

Opening Bell 1.29.20

Apple has Pablo Escobar levels of cash on hand ...

By Lishabai Yi (Middle Kingdom Media Ltd.) [CC BY-SA 4.0], via Wikimedia Commons

Opening Bell: 5.22.17

Steve Schwarzman finds $20 billion in Saudi Arabia; Ford trades in for a new CEO; Trump gropes the orb of power; and more.

(Getty Images)

Opening Bell 8.19.19

Masayoshi Son has a fever and the only prescription is more leverage ...